Tuesday, August 14, 2012

And now... time for Time Boxing!

No I'm not talking about the latest fitness craze... I'm talking about a new and improved method to manage time. Funny thing I have always used time boxing in my home management - clean this or declutter that for a set amount of time. Instead of carrying a task all the way to completion you tackle it one time box at a time. The amount of time boxes required to successfully complete one task will vary obviously. But it works for keeping my home clean and clutter free (ok, maybe not 100% clutter free with a preschooler and infant/toddler roaming around that is virtually impossible). Why wouldn't it work at my 9 to 5 job? I think it can. I have several (dare I say monotonous) tasks throughout my day in which I just sit and make corrections and keep going until my eyes are crossed, my brain is burnt out, and my left foot is completely asleep. I sit with my foot right under my butt - I know it is not ergonomically pleasing to do so. I'm going to start now. My next few task lists are going to be time blocked. Let's see how mentally exhausted I am by the end of my day. I do know my first task is probably an 8 - 12 hour task, so I'm going to block that out in hours. One hour at a time, I will work on corrections. When my timer goes off, I will wrap up the line I am currently updating, mark my document and break. I'm very interested to see how this changes my outlook on my job. Something has to change, things aren't getting better on their own!

For more information on Time Boxing:
http://litemind.com/time-boxing/

No comments:

Post a Comment